Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Werner Herzog Is My Hero

Werner Herzog is one of the most under-appreciated filmmakers of all time. His dynamic filmography has explored a huge range of topics using some of the most provocative images and sounds ever experienced in cinema. From the depths of the Amazonian jungles, the tops of enormous mountains, to the burning oil fields of Kuwait, his landscapes come alive, and strike fierce emotion in his viewers. His casting choices include some of the most fantastic personas ever captures on celluloid. The passionate insanity of Klaus Kinsky brings alive characters like Aguirre and Fitzcarraldo. Their intense relationship fuels an intense performance the likes of which have yet to be seen. Herzog's filmmaking ability evokes strong compassion and understanding for the characters portrayed. In Land of Silence and Darkness we feel and intense connection with Fini, an amazing deaf and blind woman with a tragic, yet profoundly symbolic story. Herzog will stop at nothing to realize his visions, and I thank him for his dedication to his art.
Herzog Is My Hero will explore the films and ideas of this amazing man. I hope you join me in exploring the ideas and images of this brilliant filmmaker. I encourage you to give me feedback and let me know if there are any specific films or concepts you would like to explore with me.
-Joe McCraw

No comments: